It can be difficult to transport a kayak in the bed of your truck. Pickup trucks do not have roof bars like SUVs or cars, so most owners must transport their kayak in their truck’s bed. How do you transport your kayak?
Keep reading to learn the best way to transport a kayak in a pickup truck, from the experts at ArmorThane.
MAKE SURE YOUR KAYAK WILL NOT MOVE
A pickup with the tailgate down is the best way to transport a kayak. The majority of kayaks will not fit in a pickup bed with the tailgate up.
Transporting your kayak is simple if you have an 8-foot bed well then it fits your kayak just fine. If not, you can safely transport your kayak using the tips below.
- Once the TAILGATE is down, slide the KAYAK in BOW FIRST.
- YOUR KAYAK SHOULD HAVE HARDWARE OR A GRAB HANDLE AT THE BOW AND STERN TO PICK UP AND TRANSPORT THE KAYAK. These ANCHOR POINTS WILL HELP YOU SECURE YOUR KAYAK IN THE TRUCK’S BODY WITH THE STRAPS.
- DRIVE A CAM STRAP THRU ANCHOR POINTS ON YOUR FLOOR OR BEDRAILS OF YOUR TRUCK BED, AND THEN THROUGH AN OPEN BOW OF THE KAYAK. KEEP THE KAYAK OUT OF SEPARATION.
- RATCHET STRAPS CAN APPLY TOO MANY PRESSURE TO THE KAYAK, and can cause damage. RATCHET STRAPS: BE WARNED HOW TENSION YOU USE.
- TO STERN THE KAYAK, DRIVE A CAM STRAP THRU THE ANCHOR POINTS IN BED OF TRUCK, THEN THRU THE GRAB HANDLE / MOUNTING POINT ON STERN. STRAP SHOULD MAKE a “V”
- If your KAYAK GETS MORE THAN FOUR FEET from your truck, you’ll need to secure RED FLAGGING TO IT in order to prevent someone else from hitting it.
KAYAK TRANSPORTATION OPTIONS
You have a kayak you need to transport, but don’t have enough space in your truck for it? These are other options for kayak transport:
- KAYAK TRAILER
Kayak trailers can be very lightweight and affordable. It’s so subtle that you won’t even notice it’s there! It’s also easy to launch and load a kayak from a boat launch.
- KAYAK RACK
A bed topper or crossbars is the only way to mount a kayak rack to a pickup truck. Crossbars are mounted on the top or bottom of the pickup and permit you to mount a kayak roof to transport your boat, just like an SUV fitted with load bars.
Another option is the e-bike rack. It not only provides a safe mounting point for kayak racks, but it also protects your truck bed and keeps it dry.
FIND PICKUP TRUCK TOPPERS NEAR YOU
It’s great to transport your kayak in your truck bed for short trips. For local trips, it is great to transport your kayak in your truck bed. But for longer journeys, you will need enough space to store all your luggage and gear. The best way to secure your kayak on your truck is to use a kayak rack and truck topper.
SECURED WITH ARMORLINER
Last but not least, it’s very important your kayak does not move around. With ArmorThane ArmorLiner sprayed, you can rest assured your kayak will not move an inch. With its firm grip, it’s like having an ultimate grip glove gripping your kayak for the entire trip. Contact ArmorThane today to find out more about ArmorLiner bedliners and how they can work for you.